At Odyssey, we offer a full range of services and interventions in Organisational Development. We go way beyond symptoms and presenting issues.
As we work with organisations, departments, teams or communities, no one part of the “system” is treated in isolation since they all influence and are influenced by one another. We engage in organizational diagnosis to offer a systemic approach to addressing the issues and challenges of our clients.
We adopt a practical, mission-critical approach towards each intervention, understanding that each organisation has its unique needs, values and vision.
Organisational Development is a planned, whole-system, sustained approach to improve organisational systems and optimise organisational effectiveness and health, through the development of the fundamental organisational unit – groups and teams.
Systemic Organisational Diagnosis
We utilise systemic diagnostic approaches to gain a thorough understanding of organisational issues and assess organisational alignment.
- Diagnostic Surveys and Analyses
- Cultural Surveys
- Needs Assessments
Visioning and Strategy Formulation
Visioning mobilises inputs from all stakeholders, explores and analyses the past and present to create ‘desired future states’ – the basis for strategic imperatives and action planning.
- Vision and Mission Development
- Strategy Formulation and Definition
- Core Values and Behaviour Models
- Stakeholder Surveys
- Business Research
Strategic Management and Execution
We engage in the process of guiding organisations towards the execution of its strategic imperatives within a conceptual framework of understanding strategy, strategic thinking, strategic management, strategic objectives and operational planning.
- Strategy Review and Analysis
- Strategic Planning
- Strategic Plan Preparation
- Developing Strategic Thinking
- Strategy Implementation
- Operational Planning
Policy and Process Alignment
We conduct a comparative analysis of the organisation’s philosophy and strategy as expressed in its policies, processes and procedures with actual practices and provide services to improve performance.
- Policy and Procedure Analysis
- Policy and Procedure Manuals
- Process Improvement
- Process Mapping
Team-building enables teams to manage better and capitalise on their resources to improve functioning and provide the organisation with quality results.
- Team Building Workshops
- Assessing Team Composition
- Evaluating Team Effectiveness
Typical communication content, patterns and processes are examined and their effectiveness assessed in the context of the organisation’s philosophy and goals to facilitate shared meaning and understanding.
- Assessing and Transforming Organisational Communication
- Organisational Language and Culture
We partner organisations through the process of creating and anticipating change, planning implementation and treating with the outcomes.
- Transformation Planning
- Organisational Restructuring
- Transforming Organisational Culture
- Leading Through Change
- Change Management Workshops
- Building Change Management Teams
- Change Impact Assessment
- Change Readiness Assessment
- Transformation Process Audits
Quality Service Systems
We explore organisation’s customers and their needs, service delivery processes and individuals in the organisations. Applying the work processes, attitudes and behaviours that contribute to quality service delivery, we design and deliver interventions to positively impact the service systems.
- Analysing Service Delivery Systems
- Improving Service Delivery Processes
- Quality Customer Service Workshops
- Developing Customer Service Manuals
- Communication Skills Workshops
Human Resource Systems
Leadership and Managerial Development
To develop quality managers to succeed in today’s environment, our interventions begin with a focused exploration of the person, shifts to an examination of the management function, followed by the techniques and skills.
- Visioning / Futuring and Innovation
- Leadership Development
- Team Building
- Change Management
- Coaching and Counselling
- Performance Management
- Decision Making / Problem-Solving
- Conducting Effective Meetings
- Conflict Management
- Time Management
Strategic Human Resource Management
- Strategic Human Resource Modelling
- Human Resource Audits
- Human Resource Planning
Recruitment and Selection
While training and development can improve the human resources in the organisation, business results lie in the quality of human resources introduced into the organisation.
- Assessment Centres
- Interviewing Skills Workshops
- Behavioural Testing and Profiling for Job Fit
Performance management takes a holistic view of the process through which organisations ensure the achievement of results. It includes defining performance standards, identifying and diagnosing performance discrepancies and reducing performance gaps.
- Designing and Introducing Performance Management Systems
- Diagnosing Performance Discrepancies
- Defining Performance Standards
- Performance Appraisal Workshops
Organisations must have the “right people” in the “right place” and ensure that staff are challenged to improve their competence. This solution focuses on assessing candidates’ competence or ‘fit’ for given positions, identifying critical development gaps and making recommendations on development activities to move individuals to the required level of performance
- Assessment Centres (Recruitment)
- Assessment-Development Centres
Quite often, managers are not sufficiently prepared to move into complex leadership roles that may differ significantly from their areas of technical expertise. One approach to closing this gap is Executive Coaching. Our Executive Coaching Practice is based on the premise that coaching, willingly entered into, is designed to improve performance in a specific, agreed upon area of activity through a supportive- directive process over a specified time period.
Learning and Development
Critical to the effective use of Training as an organisational development tool, is an understanding of the entire training process, from needs assessment, through design and delivery to impact evaluation. With extensive experience in this area, we build organisational competence in this area through:
- Training Needs Assessment
- “Train the Trainer” Skillshops
- Developing a Learning Culture
Behavioural Style Analysis
The participants come face-to-face with all aspects of their behavioural style and the way it affects others. Issues of identifying the styles of others, situation-specific style-shifting for improved effectiveness and conflict-management styles receive detailed attention.
- Style Analysis Workshops
- Individual and Team Style Analysis
- Style Profiling for Placement
Our approach sensitises people to their own diversity ‘issues’ and ‘concerns’, works with them towards valuing the differences that people bring to the organisation and mobilises the value created through diversity towards energising organisational success.
- Diversity Workshops
- Managing Differences
- Workplace Mediation
A reality of today’s competitive environment is that organisations may have to reduce their complement of Human Resources. We work with clients to establish the most effective rationale and process for doing so and provide support services that address the psychological, employment and financial aspects of outplacement.
- Outplacement Planning
- Outplacement Workshops
- Counselling and Support Services
- “Survivor” Workshops
Our approach to Career Management provides an integrated set of interventions and processes that ensure organisational success while meeting individual needs.
- Manpower / Succession Planning
- Human Resource Audits
- Competency Modeling
- Job Descriptions
- Skills Profiling
- Career Coaching
- Career Planning Workshops
- Pre-Retirement Workshops
We encourage participants to take up the challenge of managing themselves, take personal responsibility for their future and commit to personal change and improved effectiveness.
- Self Management Workshops
- Stress Management
- RejuvenateU Retreat
ODYSSEY CAPSULE CONSULTING, powered by our experienced team of consultants and subject-matter experts, offers practical solutions that promote collaboration and enable agile decision making and implementation for results.
These concise, 1 to 2-hour sessions, are offered in multiple consulting formats:
- Practical Group Working Sessions
- Individual and Team Coaching
- Advisory Consulting Sessions
Coping with COVID-19
- Managing the challenges and the stress
- Navigating workplace changes
- Living, working and succeeding through tough times
Making the Most of Changing Times
- Finding opportunities to create change
- Discovering new ways of doing business
- Creativity and innovation for business success
- Remote work
- Facilitating employee transitions
- Operational and behavioural re-orientation
- Practical HSE considerations
- Legal/ Industrial Relations and HR approaches
Revising Job Structures and Job Descriptions
- Removing the constraints of the JD
- Linking job enrichment and resource optimisation
- Contractual and Industrial Relations considerations
Rebooting Strategy for Survival and Growth
- Thinking and planning differently
- Addressing urgent issues
- Cost reduction and process optimisation
- Business model shifts
- Risk management for reopening
- Legal and Industrial Relations considerations
- Road mapping
Communication and Employee Engagement
- Post-COVID employee engagement framework
- Realigning the organisation for results
- Re-energising the organisation
Leading Through Tough Times
- Understanding the dynamics
- The evolving role of leaders
- Principles, practical tips and tools for leaders
Leading and Implementing Turbulent Change
- Dynamics of large-system change
- Leading multiple transitions
- People, operational and cultural issues
Leveraging ICT for Business Performance
- Addressing health and safety requirements with technology
- Remote work and performance management technologies
- Business process optimisation technologies
- Team collaboration technologies
Performance Management in Different Times
- Revising performance management models
- Remote work assignments
- Optimising productivity in remote work
Business CPR... Post-COVID
- Survival first: A step-by-step approach
- Financial planning
- Value chain pragmatics
- Legal and Industrial Relations considerations
- Risk mitigation
Odyssey Learning Series
Engaging Our People: The Key to Organisational Survival and Success
In the good times, when profits are rolling in, leaders often neglect core aspects of leading and learning. We neglect issues of efficiency, feedback, cost management, performance improvement and the relationship dynamics that lubricate the wheels of a successful organisation.
When things get tough, as they are now, these issues rise to the top of the “to do” list. In most cases the situation becomes challenging and even unpleasant. Emotional levels rise, tensions increase, conflicts flare up and listening goes out the door. It becomes the worst time to engage with people when engaging with people is what can and will take us through the crisis.
Both leaders and staff are caught in the perfect storm and all parties are affected by the testing circumstances. This two-day interactive skillshop for Managers and Supervisors will provide the insight, practical tools and competence to lead your people through the testing times towards organisational survival and success.
Taming the Change Tiger: The Ultimate Skillshop in Leading Change
Whether we like it or not, change is as inevitable as death. The world continues to evolve, new technologies emerge, conditions morph before our eyes even as attitudes, behaviours and relationships shift. The local, regional and global business stage shifts beneath our feet, the rules are modified and the consequences of inertia in the face of change become fatal for our businesses. But what is really required in this time of shift and churn? More than anything else, it requires thoughtful and intuitive leadership, sound future-focused principles and practical applicable tools for leading and managing change.
From this intensive workshop, participants and their organisations will benefit from:
- Insights into individual and organisational change dynamics
- Tested, practical and adaptable toolkit for supporting organisational change initiatives
- Improved leader confidence and competence to successfully manage organisational change
- Increased competitiveness as the organisation adapts to a dynamic changing environment
- A higher level of preparedness to treat with tomorrow’s change challenges
The Leadership Opportunity
The manager maintains; the leader develops.
The manager does things right; the leader does the right thing.
The manager has his or her eye always on the bottom line; the leader’s eye is on the horizon. — Bennis 1989
Managers are required to deliver positive results in spite of the shifts and challenges they face. In the midst of all this, they also have to manage their own doubts and concerns while providing support, guidance and leadership to others who expect it of them. Though most managers can reiterate “what is” leadership as set out by renowned business gurus, too few can explain and demonstrate leadership.
Leadership Development is a wide and challenging issue that has to be approached from multiple directions. The Leadership Opportunity skillshop will equip managers with the competencies to successfully lead their organisations and deliver results. Participants will explore leadership demands and challenges and appropriate tools and techniques to seize the opportunity.
Train the Trainer: The Science & Art of Facilitation
In many organisations, a wealth of knowledge and experience often resides in-house among experienced staff. Far too frequently, these competencies often remain untapped as experienced staff are unable to convey the critical nuggets that their peers and subordinates require to develop and perform optimally. The recurring developmental gap is the ability to facilitate the transfer of learning.
Facilitation is a science and an art. Well-designed content alone is not enough. An adept facilitator with in-depth content knowledge, an anthology of experiences and a toolbox of dynamic activities can routinely deliver effective learning sessions which redound to the benefit of participants and to the organisation as a whole.
Throughout this highly interactive workshop, The Science and Art of Facilitation, participants will observe and experience engaging and vibrant facilitation in progress. More importantly, they will learn and practise tried and tested principles and techniques proven to stimulate the learning environment, accelerate and enhance the learning experience for others and effectively facilitate the transfer of learnings to participants with different learning styles.
The Strategic Leader
In the current global business environment, organisations are in an increasingly challenging position in the face of reduced revenues and economic uncertainty. As these conditions continue to evolve, there are increasing demandson leaders to advance delivery and performance in their respective organisations whilst managing themselves and their teams. By participating in this one-day skillshop, leaders will:
- Understand who they are, the strengths they bring and the challenges they face in responding to the leadership challenge
- Expand their understanding of the organisation, the context in which it functions and their role in facilitating delivery of organisational results
- Improve their capacity to identify and analyse events and trends with potential or real impact on the organisation’s business activities
- Demonstrate improved understanding of strategic leadership competencies
- Position themselves to be solution providers for the organisation
The practice of Strategic Thinking allows for a wider recognition of internal and external issues affecting organisations, improved cross-functional collaboration and more systemic approaches to addressing organisational challenges. This one-day skillshop is designed to fully explore the theoretical and practical aspects of and approaches to Strategic Thinking in a range of situations.
- Expand their understanding of the organisation, the context in which it functions and their place in facilitating delivery of organisational results
- Evaluate situations and issues from multiple perspectives with the aim of generating feasible options
- Improve their capacity to articulate the strategic direction and objectives and promote a culture of performance and consequences
From Strategic Thought to Action
Strategic Thinking is an active process that is fundamental to exceptional leadership in today’s turbulence. Leading from an operational perspective will no longer suffice. The critical skills that move leaders from Strategic Thought to Action must be developed by actually performing them. This one-day skillshop will allow for an exploration of strategic thinking using a blend of lecture-discussions, situation analyses, presentations and practical participant development in which they apply strategic thinking concepts and tools to workplace situations. These will consolidate learnings, deepen understanding and enhance their capacity to:
- Engage in strategic conversations and comprehensive interventions that advance the strategic intent of the organisation
- Build powerful cross-functional capacity to advance the work of the organisation
- Prepare to lead strategically in actively addressing the unfolding challenges
- Establish a platform for effective, appropriate, results-oriented leadership across the organisation
Coaching for Results: The Performance and Productivity Mandate
The search is on for great performers, for productive employees, for employees who add value to the organisation’s business. Today’s competitive business environment has no room for sub-standard performance.
Our human capital has often not performed to its potential and if ever there was a time to turn this situation around, that time is now. Even as business enterprises reduce staff count and reshape their structures and processes, it is incumbent on the staff who stay in the organisation to perform in a way that contributes to their organisation’s survival and success. The staff we choose to retain have institutional memory, a track record and the potential to make a difference.
The leader’s responsibility is to optimise this potential and performance. The tool is performance coaching – shaping the conditions and eliciting employee behaviours that improve productivity beyond previous levels. And leaders can learn to do that well!
Participants will develop the ability to utilise coaching techniques to improve employee performance, diagnose performance discrepancies and conduct effective performance discussions to deliver results.
OD Tools and Models
Odyssey Organisational Model ©
The Odyssey Organisational Model© is a proprietary framework, used to systemically evaluate organisational functioning and dynamics, utilising four primary elements – vision, operational, socio-cultural and human. These organisational elements are assessed within the transactional (business) environment and the broader global contextual environment.
Our model facilitates the development of effective, integrated approaches to optimise organisational performance and results.
Odyssey 5P Team Model ©
Odyssey 5P Team Model© addresses the fundamentals of teamwork and allows for flexible approaches to address a range of team issues, unique to each client.
Its application guides organisational teams to define a clear purpose and its deliverables to various stakeholders, to improve how the team organises to fulfil its functions and to leverage the potentially rich diversity of the team. Underpinning these are principles which guide team functioning.
Odyssey Change Impact Assessment (CIA) ©
Odyssey’s Change Impact Assessment© provides a comprehensive, sequenced framework for exploring internal and external impacts of major organisational change events. The CIA identifies potential change impacts and threats, and areas for action to ensure optimal conditions for implementing and sustaining change.
Odyssey Change Readiness Assessment ©
The Odyssey Change Readiness Assessment© evaluates the extent of change readiness (or potential change resistance) in an organisation. OCRA© enables organisations to plan transitional structures and approaches to ensure successful execution of planned change events and achieve a positive transformation.
Our Client Network
We serve an expanding client network of local and regional organisations in the public and private sector. Here is a cross-section of our clients.